To answer your question regarding how frequently you should use it, I think it is important to focus on controlling the amount of fungal spores that end up in your shoes that could cause a re-contamination and re-infection of the treated toenails.
If you have any toenail fungus spores that are living in the skin (in the form of an athlete's foot infection), they can easily get back into the damaged, cracked, splitting areas of the toenail, even if we just did a laser treatment to kill all the fungus in the toenails. The toenails are highly susceptible to reinfection when I have been damaged by the toenail fungus.
When you have athlete's foot and you are applying a topical antifungal to kill the fungus in the skin, you are still shedding some fungal spores and fungal elements into the shoes. The more peeling of the skin, the more toenail fungus spores are getting shed with the skin as it heals.
If you see any peeling of the skin that is related to athlete's foot I would recommend using the Steri-shoe daily on any shoes that you are wearing while you are treating the athletes foot infection. This usually goes on for a week or two.
Here's the routine that I think works best when you have athlete's foot and have just had a laser treatment to kill the toenail fungus:
1. Start using topical antifungal treat the athlete's foot in the skin on the feet initially.
2. laser treatment to kill the toenail fungus in the toenails.
3. Apply topical antifungal solution to the toenails to help prevent any reinfection of the toenails from the fungus in the skin.
4. Day 1 of Laser toenail fungus treatment: treat all of your shoes with chemical disinfectants and or the Steri-shoe ultraviolet shoe sanitizer.
5. Use the Steri-shoe ultraviolet shoe sanitizer at the end of the day, every day on any shoes that you have learned during the first two weeks after Laser toenail fungus treatment.
6. After that, just use the Steri-shoe ultraviolet shoe sanitizer once a week to treat any shoes that you have been wearing in order to keep the fungal load under control and help prevent reinfection of the toenail fungus.
7. Any time you run, play basketball, soccer, or any other athletic activity where she's become excessively sweaty, use the Steri-shoe ultraviolet shoe sanitizer that evening to help dry the shoes out and kill any fungus before it can start growing in your shoes again.
8. if you get any athletes foot infection in the future, repeat the above process with the steri-shoe and topical antifungal for the skin BEFORE you get a toenail fungus infection again.
If you take all of these steps and are diligent about making sure that you prevent the fungus from returning to your shoes and potentially reinfected toenails it will certainly help increase your chances of success with the laser toenail fungus treatment. Although somewhat tedious and time-consuming this effort is necessary to optimize your chances for a successful treatment and clear toenails.
Dr. Christopher Segler is board-certified, American Board of Podiatric Medicine. Is unique practice focuses on treating patients in the most efficient, least disruptive manner. In keeping with this mission, he performs house calls in San Francisco Silicon Valley and Marin County to treat toenail fungus for patients who are busy and do not want to have the embarrassment of going to a doctor's office to discuss their discolored toenails. Click here to arrange a free consultation to find out if laser toenail fungus treatment could help you have clear toenails again.